Saturday, July 6, 2013

Lizzie Responds to Nicole's June Mix

It's been two months without seeing Nicole, but, as promised, we exchanged our monthly mix CDs.  Breaking with tradition, however, I will be sharing what I thought of hers, aptly titled 'June Tunes', first.

My initial thought was I could easily bike to "For Now" by Ghost Hands.  A mellow entrance into this mix, followed by the not-so mellow "Purple Yellow Red and Blue" by Portugal. The Man.  This song is infectious, relatable ("When I grow up, I wanna be a movie star." -- so true), and perhaps even psychedelic. When the title is sung during the actual song, I conjure up certain scenes from Apocalypse Now.

Deerhunter's "The Missing" wasn't that impressive.  I like the harmonies, though.  And like it did for Nicole, maybe it will grow on me.  "Put a Light On" by Generationals is perfect for summer.  I found myself snapping along and swaying to the beat.  I enjoyed the falsetto and an instrument that I can't even place.  It also reminds me of Purity Ring's "Fineshrine," featured on a previous mix from Nicole.

I felt myself spirally down as I listened to Marnie Stern's "Proof of Life" which put me in the mindset for "Help Yourself" by Sad Brad Smith.  This served as a good reminder to, well, help myself.  I could be crazy, but I think I detected the sound of hitting a tin can?  In the same vein, "Don't Deny Your Heart" by Hot Chip seemed to be proffering self-help-book-esque advice -- pumped through synth of course. I think the shifts in tone made this particular song of theirs unique.  Fun fact: my blogger friend Nicola first introduced me to this band. 

To me, Janelle Monaé's "Wonderland" sounds like what I imagine it feels to be on an acid trip.  I shouldn't try to understand any narrative that may or may not exist for this song. "A tout a l'heure" by Biblo is very summery.  I am a sucker for hand claps.  "Waves," another from Portugal. the Man's 2013 album, Evil Friends, really struck a nerve with me. (No one will remember/ Cause nothing lasts forever/ And everybody's looking/ For somebody to use) 

"Hiding Out" by The Ambulars, amonst the others, does not stand out. If I re-listen outside the context of the mix, maybe I'd feel differently?  I'd read about people loving Laura Marling,  yet "Where Can I Go" is the first song of hers I've heard.  I like her quietly sassy voice and her warble on "where."  I'll have to check out her other stuff.  Bob Dylan's "She Belongs To Me," considering I was listening to it while lying on Bateman lawn, made me think of the story Nicole has told about Bob watching his daughter graduate from our college from behind a tree on the same exact lawn.  Pretty neat.

Second to last, "Try to Be,"can summed up as hypnotic. No wonder Nicole said she could fall asleep to this. It's by the band Blue Hawaii, which may win the contest for best name this mix.  And, finally, "Wait So Long" by TRAMPLED By Turtles (yes, Nicole, I know...not TRAVELED) has great violin.  Then all I could think was: dueling banjos, much?

Thank you again for sending another amazing mix, Nicole.  And, as always, can't wait to read your thoughts on mine and exchange ones for July!

Instant Favorites: "Purple Yellow Red and Blue," "Put a Light On," "Wonderland," and "Waves."

No comments:

Post a Comment