Sunday, June 2, 2013

Lizzie Responds to Nicole's May Mix

Nicole and I have exchanged mixes about once a month since October, and last month we decided to start writing our thoughts about them for all the world to see.  Nicole responded to mine yesterday so here's my thoughts on the May Mix that Nicole gave me before she deserted me!

"Dead In Your Head" by Bleached was a stellar start.  After a first listen I wanted to hear it again: the sign of a good song.  Speaking of ends, the last twenty seconds of "In a Sense" by Young Man sounds like a bop-it extreme instead of real instruments.  This probably sounds like an insult, but I promise it's not.

I like the almost narrative style of Savages' "She Will" even though it's not easy to hear all the lyrics.  As bummed as I am by this, I admire the heavy drums and symbol clashing throughout.  I could work out to this song.  Next up is James Blake's "To The Last," instantly one of my favorites.  After listening to his cover of Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You" for the first time this year, I appreciate this gradual exposure to his music.  That said, I think his music lends itself towards singles versus an entire album.  In album form, I fear the melancholy, piano-driven tracks might be overwhelming?  Maybe I should listen to the full album and test my hypothesis...

Minneapolis-based Strange Names is being added to my bands-to-check out list. "Luxury Child" immediately had me dancing at my desk.  I'm not kidding, I was grooving out to its awesome beat and was ready to sing along to the catchy refrain, making me care less about the lyrics.  (I'm now listening again on my speakers and my roommate, Morgan, approves.)  R.E.M.'s "Pop Song 89" is nothing too special.  Sorry I don't have anything else to say about it!  (OMG, wait, now that I see the title again, is its genericness the point!?)

At first "Starfish and Coffee" by Prince startled me.  I was like, "where is that telephone ringing coming from?" Once I deduced it was in fact the song, I enjoyed it and reveled in its ridiculousness.  And then, quickly to follow, "The Sporting Life," which may be my favorite song by The Decemberists, was infectious and poppy.  Plus, it was a solid transition into the latter half of the mix.

Like "Pop Song 89," Hollow Boys' "Hater" also wasn't exactly memorable.  Especially when to follow The Knife's "A Tooth For An Eye" is unlike anything I've really heard before.  I see some similarities to Purity Ring, though.  "Borrowed Time" by Parquet Courts blends seamlessly into "Santa Fe" by Beirut.  Since "Elephant Gun" seems to be following me around this summer, I didn't mind hearing a different song by the band.

I have never even remotely heard of Lady Lamb The Beekeeper before.  Nicole, you're such a hipster!  "Rooftop," therefore, was never on my radar.  I enjoy how chill and how this song doesn't overreach.  "Last of the Summer Wine" by Palma Violets continues that chill vibe.  Again, without trying too hard it is soothing and its instrumental bits are reminiscent of Arctic Monkey's "Love Is A Laserquest."  Last, yet certainly not least, Eleanor Friedberger's "Stare at the Sun" makes me excited for all the summer adventures I will have here in the Twin Cities.  Not to mention "I'll try not to stare at the sun" is the perfect reminder.

Overall, this mix mirrored my odd transition from living with three good friends to trying to navigate life, work and food (I know my priorities) independently.  Both had its various ups and downs yet general summer feel.  I'm looking forward to compiling more songs for Nicole's June Mix.  Pretty soon we'll have been exchanging for a year -- oh my!

Instant Favorites: "Luxury Child,""The Sporting Life," "Santa Fe" and "Stare at the Sun."

No comments:

Post a Comment