Sunday, May 5, 2013

Lizzie Responds to Nicole's April Mix

If you've read our introduction post, you know that mix CDs played a role in bringing Nicole and I together.  We've exchanged mixes about once a month since October, and now that we've created FLAK, we'll be reacting to each other mixes here, for all the world to see!  This will be especially helpful for when Nicole deserts me for Alaska this summer.  Nicole responded to mine yesterday so here's my thoughts on the April Mix that Nicole gave me!

Jake Bugg's "Seen It All" is a toe-tapper.  While this isn't my favorite off the mix, I think it was a good foray piece.  Now, I honestly did not expect to hear "Q.U.E.E.N." by Janelle Monáe.  But I like when Nicole throws in something different from the standard "pretty music" (our general term for alternative rock/pop).  I guess I should've expected a Janelle Monáe song because she was very excited for her latest album. Django Django's "Firewater"strikes me as different from "Storm," which Nicole has featured on a previous mix.  I could be wrong and sound like a total idiot right now.  I'll accept that, because either way I like both songs.  Not to mention, I'm eternally jealous she got to see them live in March!

I'm guessing Nicole felt obligated to put "Don't Play With Guns" on after we heard The Black Angels live on Record Store Day.  Besides offering an important lesson, this song can grow on me. The menacing piano underscores the ominous tone of Menomena's "Heavy Is As Heavy Does." I like this sound and how it subtly transforms around the 1:50 mark.  "Ghost Towns" from Radical Face fills a special place in my heart right now.  Confession: I have recently fallen in love with a few songs off Radical Faces' album, Ghost, and might be heavily biased when I say I like this too.

"Front Porch" by GLOSS harkens back to the "pretty music" I mentioned earlier.  It reminds me of eighties British pop.  Don't misconstrue that as a bad thing.  I know Nicole loves Stevie, so figures she would include Stevie Wonder's "Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing."  I am immediately transported to the atmosphere of Silver Linings Playbook a la its integral use of "My Cherie Amor."  If I had my license, I feel "Colored Emotions" by Night Moves would be awesome music to accompany a night's drive.

Kurt Vile's "Never Run Away" has the scary possibility of getting stuck in my head.  (Fun fact: I  had T-Pain's "I'm In Love With A Stripper" inexplicably stuck in my head earlier today, so.)  I think I have a strange conception of Iron & Wine.  I think it's their name that really throws me, since I didn't think "Grace For Saints and Ramblers" was going to sound...so...chipper?  On a similar note, my immediate thought with "Snow Day"by Minneapolis local Jeremy Messersmith was "Wes Andersen."  Maybe Nicole can help me pinpoint which instrument might be doing that? HELP ME, NICOLE.

The next song "We Will Never Be As Young As We Are Tonight" by The Calm Blue Sea seamlessly blended in.  Once again, I could see myself driving to this melodic, mostly instrumental track.  Can I mention that I love the name?  Because I do.  It's a little insane how much I love The Antlers. (Nicole can attest to just how many times I've broken into "Every night my teeth are falling out."  Sometimes I add air guitar.)  Their song "Drift Dive" is superb, as is Peter Silberman's voice. "College" by Rogue Wave served as a nice way to round out the entire mix.  I firmly believe I could satisfying play the whole mix on repeat and not be able to identify a beginning or an end.

Over all, this entire mix put me in a calm, centered realm, which I think is perfect as I head into my finals week.  Thank you, Nicole!

Instant favorites: "Seen It All," "Heavy Is As Heavy Does," "Ghost Towns," and "Drift Dive," although let's face it, I like practically everything Nicole sends my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment